Notifications
Clear all

2013 Mustang RCM still be reset or do I need to purchase a new RCM?

YENY
 YENY

I see that the RCM from my son's 2013 Mustang has an orientation arrow on the case. This implies that there is an impact sensor in the RCM. Can this RCM still be reset or do I need to purchase a new RCM? RCM P/N DR33-14B321-AC

Topic starter Posted : 10/02/2021 10:53 am
MyAirbags Tech Support
Prominent Member Moderator

Hello,
We only clear out the crash history in the event of an accident on airbag modules. You will have to get your module scanned for codes. If any of those codes read lost communication or internal malfunction then you will have to get your airbag module replaced.

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Thank you!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/02/2021 1:21 pm
YENY
 YENY

Yes, I already know what the codes are. My question is not about that though. My question is about the module itself and the fact that it has an orientation arrow on it that strongly suggests that it has an impact sensor in it. Since you guys work on these things all the time I assume that you're very familiar with it and you can verify whether the RCM has an impact sensor or in it or not and whether or not it latches when an impact occurs. Can you verify whether or not the RCM has an impact sensor in it and whether or not it latches when an accident occurs?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 10/02/2021 2:50 pm
MyAirbags Tech Support

Hello,
Your airbag module is tied to your airbags, sensors and seat belts. When an accident occurs and any of those parts needs to be replaced or repaired then the vehicle automatically shoots codes into the module to let you know what is wrong. The airbag module itself does not have a sensor in it, you can scan the module and the codes within that module can let you know if any of the sensors need to be fixed. 

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/02/2021 5:18 pm
YENY
 YENY

Okay thanks. Did a little more research and it appears that the orientation of the RCM is so that it can detect deformation to the transmission tunnel area of the body during an impact. It's not an impact sensor, but instead it probably has a strain gauge inside of it. I'll go ahead and submit my RCM for you guys to reprogram.

Just trying to be sure that there wasn't an impact sensor in the module that latched upon impact. If that were the case then clearing the module memory would be immaterial since the impact sensor within the module could not be reset.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 10/02/2021 6:47 pm
MyAirbags Tech Support

Have a great rest of your day!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/02/2021 9:15 pm
Share: